This past January we visited the beautiful island of Maui in Hawaii. When we were first planning this trip in December we explored the possibility of island hopping, but we decided to stick to one island instead. We chose Maui, thanks to our friend Jen who described the island as "very laid back and chill." This was the exact vibe we were looking for after a busy holiday season in New York. In hindsight -- it was a great decision!
I will also admit that most of our trip was not planned ahead of time. Aside from booking plane tickets, a rental car and 2 hotel reservations... we didn't pre-book anything else. We had a general idea of the activities we wanted to do (i.e. whale watching, snorkeling, tropical libations) and the rest unfolded beautifully -- we were living on "island time."
With that said, we thought we would share with you a series of blog posts that capture our adventures across and around the island. Here is a quick run-down of of our itinerary with more details to follow:
- Day 1: Saturday, January 21. Greeted by beautiful rainbows as we land at Kahului Airport (OGG), pick up rental card (Ford Focus hatchback, oh yeah!) and venture west to the Lahaina Inn.
- Day 2: Sunday, January 22. Tour around Old Lahaina, drive through the West Maui Mountains and explore beaches/vistas of Kaanapali, Kapalua, Kanounou Point Kahakuloa Point. Visit to Ali'i Kula Lavender Farm in Kula.
- Day 3: Monday, January 23. Depart Lahaina and drive the Road to Hana. Highlights include: Roadside fruit/smoothie stands, Lava Tubes (Maui Cave), waterfalls and windy jungle roads.
- Day 4: Tuesday, January 24. Depart Hana, visit Haleakala National Park - Kipahulu (Waimoku Falls and the Bamboo Forrest), and spin around town in Paia.
- Day 5: Wednesday, January 25. Kicked off the day with a fresh tour of Maui Gold Pineapple plantation via the Pineapple Express, followed by some great whale watching with the Pacific Whale Foundation via Pac Whale Eco Adventures (and an impromptu boat rescue mission) out of Maalaea Bay. Arrive in Wailea at the Grand Wailea Resort.
- Day 6: Thursday, January 26. Lazy river, 9 pools, beach... need I say more. (Grand Wailea).
- Day 7: Friday, January 27. Express Snorkeling at the Molikini Crater with the crew of Kai Kanani, shopping at the Shops at Wailea, refreshing beverages and pork nachos at Whale's Tale Juice and Sunset Hut. Depart Grand Wailea Resort and venture back to JFK.
Stay tuned for a closer look at Day 1 -- coming soon!